Software Developer Job Description [Template Included]
Who is a Software Developer?
Software developers are the creative conjurers behind various computer programs. There are two main classifications of developers: applications software developers and systems software developers.
While application software developers focus on a specific program or app, the systems software developers create giant networks or underlying systems that help trigger and power other programs.
High-performing software developers have a healthy balance of hard and soft skills. Not only are software developers responsible for outlining and creating the code and design for a program, but this career generally involves a lot of collaboration between various stakeholders.
Why write job descriptions?
Job descriptions are helpful for candidates and employers alike.
They attract prospective candidates qualified for the role from various sources. The ability to post & share jobs on platforms like LinkedIn, Meta, Twitter & email provides exponential reachability.
A clear job description sets the right expectations for potential applicants. This gives them a chance to self-select themselves from applying, saving everybody’s time & resources. And qualified professionals who eventually apply are better equipped for interviews.
The job descriptions are often the first point of contact professionals will have with your firm & this can significantly shape their first impression. Any grammatical errors, factually incorrect detail, usage of empty jargon, or even the tone of voice can put them off, leaving a lasting impression.
Lastly, the list of roles & responsibilities can stand as a baseline once the candidate is hired. A reference to measure their growth, performance reviews & appraisals.
Job Description sample for a Software Developer
Developers can work in systems software or in applications, but their duties are similar in many cases. If your position is specialized, consider including the specialization in the job title as well. But avoid using internal titles, abbreviations or acronyms to ensure candidates understand your job advertisement.
This job description describes the responsibilities and requirements of a software developer. The template may be modified or re-created to accommodate your company’s specific needs of a Software Developer.
Software Developer Job Description Template
[Use this section to provide a high-level overview of your company, culture, perks and benefits, career growth opportunities, and anything else that will get candidates excited about your company.]
[Use this section to provide a brief overview of the role & the candidate persona. We recommend keeping this to three or four sentences. The responsibilities and requirements sections will convey the rest.]
Software Developer Roles & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with team members to determine best practices and client requirements for software
- Develop intuitive software that meets and exceeds the needs of the company
- Professionally maintain all software and create updates regularly to address customer and company concerns
- Analyze and test programs and products before the formal launch
- Troubleshoot coding problems quickly and efficiently to ensure a productive workplace
- Ensure software security by developing programs to actively monitor the sharing of private information
- Actively seek ways to improve business software processes and interactions
- Aid and support the coaching and training of other team members to ensure all employees are confident in the use of software applications
- Design and update software database. This includes, but is not limited to: Software Applications, Web Sites, Data Communication Processes and User Interfaces
- Possess up-to-date knowledge of technological developments in the industry
- conduct root cause analysis of issues, review new and existing code and/or perform unit testing
Software Developer Qualifications & Requirements
- 3-5 years of experience developing and implementing software applications
- Professional program certification in Java is strongly preferred
- Experience working on large-scale software projects
- Professional experience using cybersecurity and open source technology
- Experience developing software utilizing various coding languages including Java, C++, PHP and more
- Outstanding collaboration and communication skills are essential
- Experience developing secure software systems based upon industry specifications
- Analyze code for weaknesses and errors, and present detailed plans to improve them
- Experience developing customized code for multiple projects simultaneously
Lastly, you can include a few other categories in your description that will make candidates favour your company over your competition.
Compensation & Benefits
Every job description should include at least the salary range. Most candidates expect a particular pay scale, and it’s essential to be upfront with your offer so that candidates can pursue something that better suits their needs.
61% of job seekers consider compensation information the most important part. Many companies refuse to provide this information in job descriptions, but it’s time to get over your discomfort. This only saves everybody’s time, effort & money.
This is entirely optional. If any other qualities are nice to have, mention them here. This section can be skipped, but it may help candidates know what to include in the application or interview to stand out.
Call To Action
Ensure it is blatantly apparent where a candidate is supposed to apply. Do not make it complicated or convoluted to apply because that will reduce your applicant pool for the wrong reasons.
If your company requires assistance in finding the highly elusive top-tier software developers, reach out to the experts at Anzy Global. We’ve recruited tech talents for various roles for over a decade and have a nationwide database full of best-fit candidates.
We believe in providing our clients with the highest level of service as we swiftly close open roles.
Reach us for a free, no-obligation consultation – we’ll get right back to you!