COO Job Description: Roles & Responsibilities [Template Included]
Who is a Chief Operating Officer?
The traditional Chief Operating Officer is a member of executive management responsible for maintaining and driving operational results within a company. The COO works closely with the CEO, the CFO and other upper management.
As one of the most critical and essential positions within a company, the COO must be a skilled communicator, an effective leader, and a driven business person. They must propel company growth, maintain key operational procedures, create new processes and ensure day-to-day operational excellence.
COOs have a strong educational background combined with extensive work experience. An experienced COO has worked in various positions to understand all the different facets of a business and how they work together cohesively.
Why write a job description?
Job descriptions are helpful for candidates and employers alike.
They attract prospective candidates qualified for the role from various sources. The ability to post & share jobs on platforms like LinkedIn, Meta, Twitter & email provides exponential reachability.
A clear job description sets the right expectations for potential applicants. This gives them a chance to self-select themselves from applying, saving everybody’s time & resources. And qualified professionals who eventually apply are better equipped for interviews.
The job descriptions are often the first point of contact professionals will have with your firm & this can significantly shape their first impression. Any grammatical errors, factually incorrect detail, usage of empty jargon, or even the tone of voice can put them off, leaving a lasting impression.
Lastly, the list of roles & responsibilities can stand as a baseline once the candidate is hired. A reference to measure their growth, performance reviews & appraisals.
Chief Operation Officer Job Description Template
Our COO job description describes the responsibilities and duties that a COO will face daily. This job description may be modified or re-created to accommodate your company’s specific needs in a Chief Operating Officer.
[Use this section to provide a high-level overview of your company, culture, perks and benefits, career growth opportunities, and anything else that will get candidates excited about your company.]
[Use this section to provide a brief overview of the role & the candidate persona. We recommend keeping this to three or four sentences. The responsibilities and requirements sections will convey the rest.]
COO Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide management & leadership that aligns with the company’s business plan and overall vision for growth.
- Assist executive team members in creating, growing, and building a prime, industry-leading organization.
- Drive company results from an operational & financial perspective by working closely with the CFO, CEO & other vital members.
- Partner with the CFO to achieve favourable financial results concerning sales, profitability, cash flow, mergers and acquisitions, systems, reporting & controls.
- Set challenging and realistic goals for growth, performance & profitability.
- Create practical tools to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of internal & external processes.
- Provide accurate & timely reports outlining the operational condition of the company.
- Spearhead the development, communication & implementation of effective growth strategies and processes.
- Work with other c-suite executives on budgeting, forecasting & resource allocation programs.
- Work closely with senior management to create, implement, and action plans for operational processes, internal infrastructures, reporting systems, and company policies that foster growth, profitability & efficiencies.
- As a key leader, motivate and encourage employees at all levels, including but not limited to professional staff, management-level employees & executive leadership.
- Forge strategic partnerships and relationships with clients, vendors, banks, investors & other professional business relationships.
- Work with the CEO and CFO in the capital raise process. Meet, interact and present information effectively to potential investors & private equity firms.
- Foster a growth-oriented, upbeat & encouraging environment while keeping employees and management accountable to company policies, procedures & guidelines.
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field.
- MBA is preferred but not mandatory
- 5+ years of executive-level operational experience.
- Exceptional executive presence, business acumen & presentation skills.
- Leadership skills, with steadfast resolve & personal integrity
- Budgeting or a financial-focused mindset is beneficial.
- The C-level executives are aligned, coordinated & strongly in sync
- The functions across the organization are integrated and highly effective
- Company goals are clearly defined and are consistently met or exceeded
- Company employees understand the company’s direction and their role in the overall plan.
- Employee morale and motivation are high.
Compensation & Benefits
Lastly, it’s imperative that you mention the compensation & benefits of joining your organization. 61% of job seekers consider compensation information the most important part. Indicate that the compensation package will be competitive & if you offer employee stock programs.
Most candidates expect a particular pay scale, and it’s essential to be upfront with your offer so that candidates can pursue something that better suits their needs. This inclusion will significantly save resources for both parties.
Call To Action
Ensure it is blatantly apparent where a candidate is supposed to apply. Do not make it complicated or convoluted to apply because that will reduce your applicant pool for the wrong reasons.
If your company requires assistance in finding the perfect Chief Operating Officer (COO), reach out to the experts at Anzy Global. We’ve recruited c-level executives for over a decade and have a nationwide database full of top-tier candidates.
We believe in providing our clients with the highest level of service as we swiftly close open roles.
Reach us for a free, no-obligation consultation – we’ll get right back to you!