Data Engineer Job Description [Template Included]
Who is a Data Engineer?
We create new data every second.
Big Data has changed the way business is done and created a need for professionals who can collect and manage the data available in such great quantities. And these professionals are your data engineers.
Your company collects massive amounts of data but you need the right people and technology to use it to your advantage. Data engineers have the skills to build systems that collect, manage and convert raw data into usable information for data analysts & scientists to interpret. They make data accessible so that you can evaluate your business & optimise its performance.
Keep reading to understand what a data engineer’s role entails.
Why write Job Descriptions?
Job descriptions are helpful for candidates and employers alike.
They attract prospective candidates qualified for the role from various sources. The ability to post & share jobs on platforms like LinkedIn, Meta, Twitter & email provides exponential reachability.
A clear job description sets the right expectations for potential applicants. This gives them a chance to self-select themselves from applying, conserving everybody’s time & resources. And qualified professionals who eventually apply are better equipped for interviews.
The job descriptions are often the first point of contact professionals will have with your firm & this can significantly shape their first impression. Any grammatical errors, factually incorrect detail, usage of empty or excessive jargon, or even the tone of voice can put them off, leaving a lasting impression.
Lastly, the list of roles & responsibilities can stand as a baseline once the candidate is hired. A reference to measure their growth, performance reviews & appraisals.
Data Engineer Job Description Template
Data engineers fall into three categories— generalists, pipeline-centric, or database-centric. So you may modify and customize this free template based on the exact need of the role.
Data Engineer Job Description Template
[Use this section to provide a high-level overview of your company, culture, perks and benefits, career development opportunities and anything else that will get candidates excited about your company.]
[Use this section to provide a brief overview of the role. Try to keep this to a maximum of three or four sentences. The responsibilities and requirements sections will cover the rest.]
Data Engineer Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with a data scientist to help build complex algorithms that provide unique insights into our data
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Use agile software development processes to iteratively make improvements to our back end systems
- Model front end and back end data sources to help draw a more comprehensive picture of user flows throughout our system and enable powerful data analysis
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Develop models that can be used to make predictions and answer questions for the overall business
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, engineering or equivalent
- X years of experience with Python, SQL, and data visualization/exploration tools
- Familiarity with the AWS ecosystem specifically RedShift and RDS
- Communication skills, especially explaining technical concepts to non-technical business leaders
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Master’s degree in statistics, applied math, or related discipline
- Experience building or maintaining ETL processes
- Professional certifications
Lastly, we suggest you include a few other categories in your description that will make candidates favour your company over your competition.
Compensation & Benefits
Every job description should include at least the salary range. Most candidates expect a particular pay scale, and it’s essential to be upfront with your offer so that candidates can pursue something that better suits their needs.
61% of job seekers consider compensation information the most important part. Many companies refuse to provide this information in job descriptions, but it’s time to get over your discomfort. This only saves everybody’s time, effort & money.
This section is entirely optional. If any other qualities are nice to have, mention them here. You may skip this section, but it may help candidates know what to include in the application or the interview to make a better impression and stand out.
Call To Action
Ensure it is unmistakable where a candidate is supposed to apply. Do not make it complicated or convoluted to apply because that will reduce your applicant pool for the wrong reasons.
If your company requires assistance in finding the finest Data Engineers, reach out to the experts at Anzy Global. We’ve recruited tech talents for various roles for over a decade and have a nationwide database full of highly qualified candidates.
We believe in providing our clients with the highest level of service as we swiftly close open roles.
Reach us for a free, no-obligation consultation – we’ll get right back to you!